Tuesday, August 4, 2009

32 years since my first cancer surgery

Today is an anniversary. David (my son) said, "it's not a happy anniversary, is it"? I actually think it is a happy anniversary. Thirty-two years ago I would have never imagined that my life would have turned out so well: a great husband and marriage, 2 beautiful kids, and a wonderful home. Cancer was very scary back then, as it is today. But back then, I never imagined that I would make it this far - and here I am - so, yes, it's a happy anniversary. And now, 32 years later, I'm having to face cancer again. This is my 3rd bout. This one feels scary, but I'm going to be OK. I have a neuroendocrine pancreatic tumor - a not-so-bad-tumor in a pretty awful place. The surgeon at Stanford (same guy that operated on Steve Jobs) is confident that he will be able to get the tumor and spare my parts - pancreas, gall bladder, duodenum, etc. Let's hope and pray for that. The surgery will be on August 20th - should last about 3 hours and I will be in the hospital anywhere from 10 days to 4 weeks. Oy! How will I do this again? Anyway, this is my first real posting (the youtube posting of Just Keep Swimming doesn't really count), and I will write more tomorrow. I'm just getting started. At first I thought I would have nothing to write about, but as I think about it, I think I'll have a lot to say. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment