Thursday, September 10, 2009

09-09-09 - a lucky day!

Today is three weeks since my Whipple. Have any of you looked up just exactly what this operation entails? It is rather extraordinary. I can't believe I actually had this done to me. Although, given the way I feel now, I believe it.

But, today is a better day. Actually, yesterday, 09-09-09 was the day - my NG tube came out - for the 4th time, but I think this time it is for good. They still aren't letting me eat yet, but I know that is the next step. Once I can eat, (and, of course, poop), I think I might actually be released. I feel like I have been here forever. You may all be asking, "What have you done for the past 3 weeks"? OK, this is a good exercise for my brain. Hmmmm, what have I done during my stay at Stanford University Hospital? Well, let's see:

  • I've spent many hours feeling very sorry for myself
  • I've counted my blessings
  • I've watched a ton of really stupid TV and a million infomercials
  • I've appreciated (so much), visits, cards, emails, phone calls and gifts
  • I've met about one hundred nurses
  • I've gotten about 8 accupuncture treatments
  • I've had a massage just about every day
  • I've had two sessions with ancient Tibetan "singing bowls" (amazing!)
  • I've had a Jin Shin Jitsui treatment
  • I've had a ton of foot reflexology
  • Richard, and my wonderful friend Susan Meadows have spent hours sitting with me here in my lovely room
  • I've heard from so many old, old friends on Facebook (many of whom have been incredibly generous by donating to my swim: www.swimacrossamerica.org/teamsusansurvivies
  • I've watched hours of programming on the FoodNetwork because the doctors told me that if my brain got stimulated by food it might inspire my gut to start working.....watch out, I just might become a gourmet cook after this!
OK - that's all the psychic energy I can muster up for this blog. More will follow - with photos, I promise. I'm doing better, hour by hour, day by day. There is a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel. Thank you for reading my blog and for your interest in my cancer journey.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Susan,

    I think you are an amazing woman and I have been thinking about you and praying for you everyday! Stay strong!

    Love, kisses, and hugs,

    Martha Salomon and family

    ReplyDelete