Monday, June 13, 2011

It's been almost 2 years - here's an update!


Dear Blog followers,
It has been a very long time since I've written anything for this blog. I recently sent an email to my family and friends who were following my surgery and recovery in 2009-2010, and a version of that letter is below. I am approaching the 2nd anniversary of my Whipple and the 23 days that I spent at Stanford Hospital. I'm happy to report that I'm doing better than I ever imagined at this point. Below is a copy of that email. I hope those of you following my blog will enjoy the video.

Best,
Susan

Dear Friends and Family,
http://growingbolder.com/737153.html#content_tabs

Taking a risk of completely embarrassing myself, and revealing way more than a person should about one’s self, I’m sending you a link (above) to a video that was recently produced by GrowingBolder.com. These extraordinary film producers found me at the US Masters Swimming Nationals meet this past spring in Mesa, Arizona. Growing Bolder is produced by an Emmy award-winning team and delivers empowering stories that inspire audiences of all ages to believe that it's never too late to achieve their dreams. I thought this video would be a great way to update you on how I’m doing almost 2 years (on August 20th) since my last surgery. As you will see, I’m doing well. I still struggle with some aches and pains (and digestive issues), and a terrible case of sciatica, but mostly, I’m doing way better than I ever imagined I’d be at this point. Many of you on Facebook (and a few others of you) may have already seen this, but if you haven’t, it’s about 6 and a half minutes long. For those of you who have known me forever, most of the story is not new to you, but to my “newer” friends, some of it might be a bit shocking. Nonetheless, this is my story and one that I can’t hide from. Those of you on this email list were with me every step of the way in 2009 and 2010, and your support was invaluable to me during that time. I suppose it’s nice to be able to give you such a positive update. Personally, I think some of the statements about me are just slightly "over-the-top"….but I guess that’s what makes for an inspiring video! So, if you choose, watch it with a grain of salt. I'm really just an ordinary person who happens to have had cancer 3 times.

Best,
Susan

P.S. Many of you have asked about Swim Across America this year. Yes! It’s happening in the SF Bay on Saturday, September 24th ! If you live in the Bay Area, please come. Swim on my team (Team Susan Survives), kayak, volunteer or just donate. Money raised goes directly to UCSF Benioff Children’s and Oakland Children’s Hospitals for cancer research. http://www.swimacrossamerica.org/site/TR/OpenWater/SanFrancisco?team_id=1059&pg=team&fr_id=1184

No comments:

Post a Comment